Sunday, December 26, 2010

Sexually Active

Now I know the title is often discussed at the doctors office but I'd like to have a little venture into it here.

I was watching a movie today (on this blizzard day) that had the character in the doctors office being asked about if they were or not sexually active. Of course this character didn't know how to respond even though being in her mid 20s she was clearly NOT a virgin.

So why do we have such trouble answering the question "are you sexually active?" Well I only can speak from a single girl point of view. I honestly hate telling people I've known for 4.87 seconds information I dont even share with half the people I know. When they ask the question at the docs office my first response is always "like...currently?" Which the doctor/nurse never appreciate because they think I'm sassing them. But seriously I want to know if they mean like ever or in the last months. As a single girl who has only had 1 boyfriend in her life, its a complicated question. And I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Being a single girl in this generation is a difficult thing, and I know all too well how to live this life. I often want to ask people what the hell they think I'm supposed to do? Not have sex ever again? Or just wait years and years for some other boyfriend to come around. And as most girls in college this decade know, you might be waiting a long freaking time for that boyfriend.

I got out of my only relationship 4.5 years ago. So what was I supposed to do? Not have sex for 4.5 years? Honestly thats a damn long time to go out one of your basic "needs". I've dated guys (over 10) but nothing ever serious came out of it. According to the elders of my generation they believe not having sex is exactly what I should have done. Some of those elders are still doctors and nurses. Its hard for girls these days to make a choice about what to do. Everyones unique so obviously the answer is different for everyone. It seems to be getting more complicated as time goes on.

Just Some Food for Thought

xoxo
B

No comments:

Post a Comment